We are proud to serve the greater Kitchener, Ontario region as well as the surrounding areas.
While Mould can be dangerous to certain individuals, most of the situations are easily dealt with and over-exaggerated by some companies within the industry.
On this page, you’ll find everything from how mold starts, to when to hire a specialist vs. doing it yourself. You’ll also learn about the implications as well as many other questions we frequently get asked.
Mold exists everywhere, inside and out. Mould is part of our everyday life and it’s not always a bad thing.
For example, finding mold outside your home, such as in composting, producing wines, beer or cheese is very common and definitely not dangerous. On the other hand, finding mold inside your home is a different story. Mould decomposes building materials, causes allergies and even worse can make you sick.
Mould inside = Bad
Mould outside = Good
Mold growth occurs from excessive moisture or high humidity in the home or business property. When this occurs, mold begins to grow. Situations such as flood, pipe burst, overflow or poor ventilation are all causes of excessive moisture.
The key to keeping a home mold free is by not allowing excessive moisture. This will ensure a long-lasting and healthy home.
Over the past decade, mold removal technology has evolved so much that companies are now able to deal with some of the most dangerous situations in a matter of hours.
There are 3 different Condition Classes of Mould. Level 1, 2 and 3 where Level 1 is least severe, and Level 3 is most severe.
Level 1 is anything that is less than 10 Sq. feet. Anyone with proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and knowledge can have this taken care of relatively easily. Generally speaking, it is not worth the homeowners time to hire a team like ours for this as it would be too costly for how simple it can be removed. It’s considered to be relatively normal fungal ecology.
Common examples include mold in shower, small plumbing leak on kitchen cupboards, mold on window sills, etc…
Level 2 is anything from 10 to 100 Sq. feet.
At this level, you need specialized equipment, safety gear and a certified team with the experience with these types of jobs. We recommend that at the minimum the team should have AMRT Certification by the IICRC in order to show a minimum of competence.
The reason is that the exposure can be dangerous for your health. Some compare this to smoking 300 cigarettes in 30 seconds (it’s that bad!).
That is the number of mold spores you will be inhaling which will cause a series of health issues (i.e. allergies, asthma). In addition, you risk spreading mould across your home creating mold growth in other areas.
This is exactly why there are guidelines on mold remediation; to protect the workers and the occupants without cross-contaminating other areas.
Level 3 mold is anything greater than 100 Sq. feet (a larger contamination area will require the use of powered oxygen masks and decontamination showers to protect the workers)
This is the most severe and you need to call a specialist immediately if you work or live in an environment like this. Here below is a video showing more of what Condition 3 mold contamination looks like.
Mold remediation is the process in which mold contaminants are removed without cross-contaminating other areas and ensuring the safety and protection of all workers and occupants.
One particularly toxic mold – Stachybotrys Chartarum, or more commonly known as toxic black mold, is extremely dangerous to your health. It releases dangerous mycotoxins that are known to have been used as biological weapons in the Gulf war and the Korean War (Yellow Rain)
These black and sometimes toxic mold can be found in your attic, bathroom, basement, and basically everywhere in your living space that suffered from excessive or sudden moisture.
Successful mold remediation not only removes the contaminants but addresses the moisture issues that initially caused mold growth. This is very important as mold is caused by excessive moisture on organic materials typically found inside of a house or facility.
Every case of mold removal or remediation is distinctively different by the moisture introduction and associated problems and damage, and it is, therefore, best to have it done by experts with specialized equipment.
Mold Contamination is a very serious matter and does require immediate attention. Please fill in the contact form or call us directly at226-916-5522 We respond very quickly and can usually book an inspection within 24 to 48 hours.